Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Thousand & One PB&J's.

In the decision to blog, I never wanted to stand on a soap box.  So, today, I hope to be an inspiration, not a lecturer.

We are moving to our new house on Sept. 1.  Yay!  We are so grateful!  We feel so strongly that this is the right move for our family.  It still feels eerie how it all came together so quickly.

BUT...that's not to say we haven't work years to get to this point.  Recently, I've had numerous people tell me how "lucky" we are to buy a house.  To that, my response is you can too, no luck required!  Just a decision to make it a priority and a life style that supports that decision (I'd like to add,  that's the same solution for staying out of debt with anything else in your life).

Here's a small glimpse into the life style we've maintained for years (yes, years!) to support the goal of buying a house:

-I have easily eaten thousands of pb&j sandwiches, often while watching coworkers go out for lunch.  Don't get me wrong, I love them and all, but don't kid yourself, eating out tastes way better.

-We drive the ugliest car, bless its heart.  How could you hate it that much when it gets 40 miles per gallon?

-I price match most of what we buy.  Never been a Walmart lover until we were poor.  Darn you Walmart.

-Eating out is a treat, not a way of life.  And, I like to believe I can cook healthier than most restaurants.

-Unless grandmas have bought them, Zack's toys and clothes proudly come from second hand stores.

-I avoid the mall.  Some can window shop; I can't.  Avoidance is the solution for me.

-Garage sales are a blast!  Nice furniture is way cooler when you can say you bought it for $15, not $150.

-Attendance in movie theaters are saved for special events or gift card usage.

-Track your spending and budget!  Ask Dave if you want a cool spreadsheet that you can hardly understand, but can tell you all the dirty secrets about where your money is going.

That's not to say we don't have our vices.  I will never give up my hair products and I love running the AC more than I should :)

But, my friends, luck has nothing to do with buying a house.  Living smart has everything to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment